Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Business As Usual

That is the name of a new song on The Eagles' upcoming studio album "Long Road Out of Eden." But the release of this album is not business as usual. As most know, in N. America, this album will be a Wal-Mart exclusive (and also available on the band's website). Wal-Mart? I know a lot of music consumers dig going to Wal-Mart for new releases. I am not one of them.

Honestly, I do not get this whole "exclusivity" concept for music releases. I get the business deal and the money involved for the artist. But that is not my issue. It can't always be about the money. So, is it an effective marketing tool? Maybe to some degree, because the press releases all make a point of saying that the release is exclusive to a certain store. But how does that help the consumer? You only give them one choice of where they can make a purchase? What happened to the free market? The free market is always something I have loved about America. I guess I am old school. More importantly, I would think an artist would want as many outlets for their music as possible to generate as many sales and as much exposure as possible.

Great, there are plenty of Wal-Marts and Starbucks around, but I don't drink coffee and I have no use for Wal-Mart. Yet, there are times when I am forced to make a purchase at one of those companies because certain artists have sold out and made certain product exclusive merchandise to one of those entities. I wasn't crazy about having to purchase the recent Elvis Presley compilation "Viva Las Vegas" at Wal-Mart simply to obtain the bonus disc (which is a sensational complete concert from 1969). Bottom line, I don't want to make music purchases at Wal-Mart (or anywhere equivalent).

I loved Tower Records. On weekends or weeknights after work, I could spend hours sifting through the bins and talking shop with other fans or employees. I dug great independent stores like the now defunct Go Boy! Records in Redondo Beach. Those were record stores. They had it all. That is where I would have preferred to have purchased the upcoming "Long Road Out of Eden." Even though true record stores are disappearing, there are still a handful of options available. But now I can purchase some paper towels, toilet bowl cleaner and The Eagles' new album all at the same time! That is exactly what I envisioned the record business would turn into! The Eagles are obviously making some nice cash with this distribution deal, because with The Eagles, it has become all about the money. This Wal-Mart exclusive is certainly making their artistic integrity somewhat questionable. A long time ago, that was important, even to them.

So, aside from the whole Wal-Mart issue, am I looking forward to "Long Road Out of Eden?" Well, as an Eagles fan, yes. Henley and Frey are one of the best writing duos in music and certainly Joe Walsh will deliver some quality material. I am a little skeptical though as their previous single "Hole In The World" was an absolute pathetic lightweight throwaway, and Don Felder is sorely missing (even if they don’t believe it), but I have to keep an open mind. The new single "How Long" is an improvement. This new album will span two full discs, so there will be a lot to explore. And I bet there will be a few gems scattered throughout. My biggest decision will be, do I go to my nearest Wal-Mart or order it from the band's website? I guess I shouldn't make such a big deal out of all of this; maybe it is just business as usual after all. What a joke....

No comments: