Thursday, September 27, 2007

The Record Store

Man do I miss record stores. I have loved them since I was a child. When my mom would go to the mall to do some errands, I would tag along and head down to the record store and thumb through the bins. I was only 9 at the time, but there was nothing better than spending a half hour or more gazing at all the album covers. Looking at all the albums and wondering what was inside was such a thrill. And when I actually got one, it was even better. For the most part, an artist's full catalogue was readily available for the consumer. There was a lot to see and lot to explore.

The record store remained a special place over the years. Every time I was intrigued with a new artist, I was able to easily obtain a recording. I could spend hours walking up and down the aisles at Tower. I made friends there. It was a place music lovers could bond. How about the great independent stores? That is where you could really find the rare stuff and imports.

Those days are over. Record stores are pretty much extinct (as is the album). Every major city still has one independent store barely hanging on, maybe even a Virgin or a shitty Sam Goody at the mall. But for the most part, the stores are gone and what they represented is gone. Ever find a great catalogue item at Borders, Wal-Mart, or Best Buy? The selection is terrible. Those stores and their inventory are not there for the music fan, just for the casual music consumer. So real music lovers and collectors have to go online. I can still get great stuff, but it takes time. There is no more impulse buying. You get online, find the title(s) you want, check out, and wait a few days for the shipment to arrive. The fun of obtaining the recording is over. Now there is a waiting period involved. At least once the music arrives; you still get a sense of enjoyment and fulfillment. That part hasn't been ruined yet.


Downloads? Not really my cup of tea. I don't mind getting individual tracks from time to time for a buck, but it isn't a concept I will enjoy embracing in the future for my overall music consumption. Who knows what the future of music retail and distribution will ultimately bring? The jury is out on that one as the powers-that-be continue to debate what to do and what direction to go in. All I know is the era of the record store is over and I miss it.

No comments: